The method in which bans are administered should be rethought and reformed

suryanta

Admins please move this or delete this if this isn't appropriate. I was thinking of putting this in suggestions but I thought it would be too sus for suggestions.

I think that the ways in which bans are decided on and unbans are decided on doesn't work as well as it should.

Look at these ban appeals that were denied and appealed successfully.

Denied - 

Unbanned - 

I'm not saying that they should be banned, or Jake be banned and Sergio unbanned, IMO they both should be >>unbanned<< since they have learnt their lessons. But why is it that one of these people cheated and used modifications over a YEAR ago on a Roleplay server, not a DM server and is still barred from playing, and the other person literally tracked down where I lived and 2 other members of the community and is welcome to play Valrise again? To stop the former from cheating, it would only take an admin to /pm him and say "We know you're cheating, stop it now" to fix the issue, yet for Jake the damage cannot be reversed; everybody knows where I live (I would have told him if he asked politely!!!) and they can share this information on the internet to whoever they like. Obviously, I'm not going to be sent a pipe bomb, and I'm not scared but it's different for other people who live closely to other Valrise players...

My issue with this overall, to fix both people and to justify unbanning them it would only take an administrator to /pm them saying "Don't ever do this again" and it would be fine... but at this stage it makes 0 sense to unban someone who tracked down where I live, but keep banned someone who used mods to win gunfights in a ROLEPLAY server where the outcome literally doesn't matter. You can always pull the shit like "We kept Sergio banned in case he used aimbot again" but there is 0 things to prevent Jake from tracking down where I live, or even sharing this information on forums or privately on Discord messages.

It's time to work out what is a better way for working out how bans should be administered.

• Like 9

Bans, perm bans especially should be for a legitimate reason like posting ip grabbers and the way for people to get unbanned should be harder than just writing a bs apology? if you make it so temp bans are more common then people will be discouraged as well as not clog up admins times dealing with perm bans as they will learn there lesson and come back better. Obviously if somebody continously commits bad rulebreaks then they should be perm banned but i think temp bans should go up in length to deter people from commiting rulebreaks. as well as this hacking should be more fully investigated and if a person is hacking then they should be put on CAC is it? i wouldnt know i dont hack but if they are allowed to play with a check for hacks would encourage more players who can learn to be better and maybe go onto other servers or stay here to help newer players overall the way bans are handed out is dumb people can dm and do the worst things in game and get a warning but someone can post a funny /ask or /ad and be full banned. history should be taken account in terms of bans but reasonably ok rulebreaks should be less severe than full bans

Simple Solution:

Make Perma Bans Only for high stuff like, IP Grabbing, Sending Bots, DDoS Attacks, Doxing Members, Anything that involves the security of a member inside the community.

Temp Bans: Make it a ban for Cheating like literally every other server has it, If they continue doing it just ban them for 1 year and continue adding it + As Jesse said, Just literally tell the dudes in / admin pm to simply turn it off, Give them a chance, If they contiue to use it then temp ban them. Add a Temp-ban Appeal Section to appeal invalid ones or just make it so Ban Appeals can accept Temp-bans too.

And also if a ban appeal has been denied, don't just post "denied", Give an explaination or at least if you cannot be arsed then just say the reason that it was denied.

• Like 1

• Kacper locked this topic