[NATIONAL] Police department holds pubic conference addressing improvements

SAN.png

LOCAL | CRIME | ENTERTAINMENT | POLITICS | SPORTS | TRAVEL | HEALTH | WEATHER | OPINION | NATIONAL

POLITICAL

Police department holds pubic conference addressing improvements

By: Bery_Bumpkin |  27th May, 2020.

In light of recent complaints from citizens and the changes being made to address arisen issues, the San Andreas Police Department held a public press conference on Tuesday night. Around six o'clock in the evening the Los Santos conference centre opened it’s doors for the event. Citizens had the opportunity to walk in and discuss their concerns with representatives of the Police Department, who not only gave a speech but went in great detail to answer questions from the audience. 

During the course of the event the stage of the conference centre was taken by different individuals from all walks of life. Most notable was the appearance of Mr. Ed Gambino, who took the floor to deliver an inspiring speech and impressed the crowd with the questions he fired at SAPD. Mister Gambino appeared to have come prepared for the event and did not hold back, laying some tough questions at the feet of both Khalid King and Elias Carter.

The aforementioned Police Department representatives took their time to explain various new concepts that were put in place to improve the SAPD. The attendance of citizens at the conference was as high as one could expect for a Tuesday night. Locals were eager to hear any public statement coming from law enforcement, as communication has been quite minimal in recent times. 

The SAPD showed their best side tonight, in an event that takes a big step in the right direction regarding transparency and public trust. The most important talking points from the conference are summarized below:

Citizen: We feel like the SWAT department is not being held accountable for their actions. Police brutality and false arrests happen and we have no way to react, what will the SAPD do to improve this?

Khalid King: We are aware of the many complaints recently made against members of the swat team. I have recently made improvements to make sure SWAT functions best they can. I hereby ask every victim of misconduct, big or small to always file a report against the offender. I will personally look into every report, evidence provided or not. I will no longer stand for recklessness and no accountability. 

Citizen: We feel generally safe in the presence of experienced cops, but the situation with police volunteers has become very bad. The people feel like the intelligence level of some volunteers can be questioned. What is done to make sure your volunteers are fit for the job? Should the exams be harder?

Khalid King: Good question. We recognize there are problems with the current model. Being the head instructor, I have made several changes to the way we hire our recruits and the exams they have to take. 

The volunteer exam now consists of questions totaling 50 points. To pass the exam a new recruit must score at least 40 out of the 50 points. This should improve the general quality of our volunteers. We will keep monitoring the development.

Citizen: When we want to make complaints about volunteers we often feel ignored. It’s like these reports do not go anywhere. 

Elias Carter: We admit the follow-up on volunteer reports has recently been lacking. We are making an effort right now to improve the police department on all fronts. I hereby make a promise that complaints and reports against volunteer police officers will be taken most serious from this point on. Offenders will be punished accordingly. This is a process that requires effort from both sides. From the citizens to take the time to report these volunteers, and our responsibility to take adequate action in response.

Edited by SAN News
  • Like 4