RP Guide

Beric Gambino

Before going below, I want to clarify that this guide is made by me and this is my personal opinion on how things should work. I do not engage anyone with my opinion, I just recommend going by it.

Role play guide for beginners and people who want to know more

Basic understanding of what OOC and IC is:

Imagine watching a movie and you like a specific character. And in that movie the character you like is evil. Being evil in
character doesn't mean he's evil person outside this character. Same goes for SA:MP rp. Every character you play is like a movie
character and the better you present it, the more details you put in it, the better that movie looks. Consider yourself as an actor
and producer at the same time and you have to write the script. 

Tips for IG presentation of your role play:

1. ALWAYS USE CAPITAL LETTERS AND PROPER PUNCTUATION.
" John Doe says: lets go eat bella"  Does it look good? Not at all, it brings different information to the person reading it.
The proper way to write it would be "John Doe says: Let's go eat, Bella.". Using capital letters and dots is very important if you want
people to take you seriously.

2. "Hide your gun, lol." - Although it uses capital letters and punctuation YOU DON'T FUCKING PUT LOL, WTF, OMG, STFU, GTFO, etc. 
in your sentence. It makes it looks ridiculous. If you want to express your feelings, simply use /me or /em or /do. 

3. last but not least: "/me drag the su", "/me pat the su". Okay, we get it, you saved 0.05 seconds of your lifetime by not finishing the word "suspect". 
Always finish your words, because it makes you look ridiculously stupid. 

If you got used to typing with abbreviations, I'd recommend you to go on https://play.typeracer.com/ and practice your proper writing.

Developing your character and being realistic:

Every character needs a realistic story. When you write your character story you need to be extravagant. Write it in artistic way.
You don't need to start every story with "John Doe was born in ...". I'll tell you few ways you can present your story in a very
attractive way. Instead of always using lyrical/epical hero you can speak in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd person (incl. plural for all these)
and make your story look like conversation. And because SA:MP is all about imagination you can go even further outside the box
with changing the chronological order of the story. The story below will tell you all the details for a the specific character: Name, age,
race, skills, his friends, his possessions, etc.

EX.STORY #1
"
---Today, we've gathered here to honor the memory of our beloved father, uncle and friend John Doe.  He left this world at the early age of 35.
Several people in the funeral's crowd began to shed crocodile tears. Hiccups and snot, how awful was that.
---Well at least he died in fashion - cynically said his son Albert, talking about his father's Hugo Boss funeral suit.
---Will you shut up for once? Once? I beg you. - responded his youngest daughter Bella. - He suffered so much.
The funeral took place with the coffin closed and his siblings were unable to put flowers on his dead body.
---He's already dead, he never took care of us properly, can't understand why she's crying. - whispered George (John's eldest son) to Albert.
---She's trying to juice his dead body for money. - whispered back Albert while grinning, this time being even more cynical.
John's mother was also there, crying her soul out. All the memories of him went through her head. 
How he started school, how he enrolled in wrestling, and how after each lost battle he grew stronger until he failed in school. But even then, he had the support of his parents and continued his education directly in college. 
George left the funeral with very mixed feelings. He wanted to not care, but after all, he lost his father, he lost part of himself.
In front of the church there were tables with poplars surrounding them. He sat on the bench in front of the table, took out his phone and dialed the family lawyer.
---My condolences, mister Doe. Your father was a great man. - said the attorney as soon as he answered the call.
---Yes, yes. Huge loss for our family. - George tried to hold his laughter although he felt empty inside. Let's talk about the inheritance. 
I'll get the carwash, my sister will get the two restaurants in Venturas and Albert will get the lo... -
--- I'm sorry for interrupting you, mister Doe, but your father changed the inheritance order one hour before he passed away - said the lawyer, interrupting George.
--- What do you mean changed the inheritance? We're his only children. - started shouting George.
--- Yes, I'm aware, however the only thing mister Doe left you is three hot dog stalls. One for each of you. 
--- Motherfu... - whispered George - you fucked us even from afterlife.
The emptiness he had for the loss of his father disappeared and was replaced with anger.
Down on the road a hearse was parked. The driver had a black funeral suit, black aviator glasses and a driver cap. He looked through
the passenger's window, looking at how George reacts to the news, smirked and fixed his badge insignifficantly before starting the hearse engine.
The name on the badge was "John Doe".

So there's a lot you can understand about specific character, just from the story. You can summerize everything below like this:

Name: John Doe
Race: white (judging by the children's names)
Religion: christian (buried in a church)
Relationship with his family: His children don't care for him and he responds with empathy to that. 
Wealth: He owns several businesses around San Andreas, considerably wealthy man.
Special skill: Sharp mind, lost his ability to love, faked his death.

Presenting your story like this, makes it look more interesting to read. The minimum length for a story with good amount of details is 250 words.
The character itself looks good, but there are some cons in it. It's not very realistic. Like who on earth would fake his death? The primary goal
of having a good character is to keep it simple, don't overcomplicate it. Although GTA SA is way more flexible and it's entirely up to your imagination what to write,
I'd like to remind you that more than 95% of the population is living normal life. They're not super evil or super good, they care about each other.
And with this being said, I'd like to open a discussion of what I find very decisive in the entire server atmosphere. For atheist sake, DON'T BE A CRIMINAL 24/7.
I understand most of you play here to enjoy the TDM features, but if you're looking to improve there are so many ways to explore new horizons. 
Not everyone in real life is with criminal mindset, in fact very low amount of the population has that kind of mindset. Being a criminal is like putting your head in a box.
You can't think outside of that box if your head is in it. The biggest factor when comparing two styles of role play is which one is more realistic.
You can be the baddest criminal, you can be the best shooter or the best drug dealer in-game, but when it comes to role play that doesn't matter. Money also don't matter.
The guy who role plays a street sweeper can have a better role play than you by aknowledging what he's doing and representing his actions in a better way, in a more realistic way.
In fact, if you're going to be a criminal, do it in a proper way. If you're high rank in a criminal organization it means you need to go through every single detail in the group
starting from its story, to the members story, to the members hierarchy, to their skills, their weaknesses, their dedication, involvement. Everything should be thought of.
And you need to do this ICly as well. Very few people on Valrise managed to do that. And yeah, if you're the boss of a criminal or even a legal/government group, it is UNREALISTIC to 
go in turf wars or any kind of shootouts. Group leader's job is 70 percent administrative and 30 percent action. And this affects the SAPD as well, if you're the police chief or deputy
you don't go on field tasks like that. It is just ridiculous.

Here is a list of things you can RP as in SA:MP that most people forget:

Salesmen 
Factory worker/owner/manager - our planet depends on those people, they provide your comfort and more than 25 percent of the population works in factories. 

IT - Yes, IT experts in-game are not a thing yet, but you can be the first one to open IT company or role play something like that.

Restaurant/Bars/Hotels/Tourism - This is my favourite. The most basic role play happens there, the easiest way for group leaders to teach new members how to role play is by giving them tasks in that area.

Administration/Office - Starting from lawyers, advisors, financial advisors, etc, etc. Even the average office clerk that prepares documents isn't bad choice either.

Logistic/transportation - Yet again, only one group in-game role plays logistic company. 

Engineers/technicians - Apart from SAFMD, I don't know if there are any technicians in Valrise. If you got real life knowledge, you can put it ig.

Architecture/builders - This is basically a job for the mappers. I present myself as a certified architect and all the maps I create are also ICly presented.

Banking/insurance - Not one person opened his own insurance company. It's a good idea to work on.

EDUCATION - SA:MP is a great place for people to share their expertise(if they got any) on something. You can rp a teacher, doctor, professor or anything you like, it's original idea to think on.

Human Resources - the staff team protects the players OOCly, but who does it ICly? Be the first to create HR company ig.

Aviation - not many people role play as pilots. Back in the days people spend a lot of time studying how to role play flying a plane properly. You can still do that.

Arts - You can rp as artist, yes. Paint drawings and sell them ICly. (I did this once years ago and I got tons of cash)

Many people asked me how to make their players role play more. Well give them civil tasks to do. For example 3 different civil tasks and 1 criminal. As a group leader you also must make sure they behave, so find a way to explain to them that their actions are part of the bigger picture - the server's atmosphere.

Thank you if you read all this, if you got anything to add do it in the comments. And be respectful.
 - Dede Jatt

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, DeAndre Jackson said:

I will also expand the topic with additional tips, but i think this is the rock bottom basic.

please do it by editing the main post, and then quoting it in a reply post

Good work tho, can be useful for many people

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...